Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A Real Man Can Admit When He's Wrong

Okay so here's the deal: I only slightly retract my former statement regarding Vampire Weekend. They still are overrated, but I will take out the "fucking" part of that statement just for good measure...and also because the album is sort of growing on me here. Maybe it's because the weather is changing--who knows..

Downloaded the new Tokyo Police Club album, Elephant Shell, off of the Saddle Creek website. It was only $9 and I got an instant download of 320kbps-quality mp3s. I also get an e-mail today with a link to download the bonus remixes. Both of these aren't out until the 22nd of this month of CD and LP but the download is available now. Pretty good stuff. This put me in sort of a twist here though.

[Skip This Paragraph If You Get Bored Easily]

I took a good 20 minutes deciding whether to buy the digital version of the album, or buy the LP. The LP is only $11 (that's $2 bucks more in case you suck at math) with shipping of course...but here's the catch: You still get a link to download the album instantly if you pre-order the LP or CD versions. You also get the remixes. So it's like, I'm paying a handful of singles more to have a tangible copy later, and a digital copy now, whereas with purchasing just the digital copy...I think you can figure the rest out. My final decision was to buy the digital copy as you can see, because this is TPC's debut album. They've had two previous EPs (only one of them is really proper though I guess) and I didn't want to gamble getting an LP I'll never listen to. It just seemed illogical...even if it is only a few bucks more. Oh well.

Check back for my upcoming post about bands with female vocalists and their new albums (aka reviewing the new Rilo Kiley and She & Him albums).

Listening Now: Vampire Weekend - "Campus"

No comments: